Tex Mex After All...

A while back I wrote a blog about moving. Okay, let me clarify, because I have moved a lot, and have written quite a bit about moving. A while back I wrote a blog about possibly moving to Texas or Japan: big difference between the two moves, I know. It ended up that I didn’t do either. There was a job opportunity that fell through in Japan, and there was a motivation issue with the move to Texas that the Holy Spirit kept bringing up (funny how He does that). So Japan didn’t happen, and Texas didn’t happen. Eventually there was a physical move to a new house with my parents, then a move to a rental house on my own, then a move to a friend’s house when I had to leave the rental, then a two month move to Portland, and finally back to my parents’ house because Portland didn’t pan out. Wow… I’m thinking back to my blog about being a nomad…


Now I’m on the cusp of moving again, only this time it’s a revisiting of a past possibility: not Sushi (Japan) but Tex Mex (Texas). The motivation isn’t an issue this time – okay, it IS an issue but it’s a good reason to move and not a running away reason like last time – and as I’m packing up and planning I’m realizing that I’m going to miss this place. Each time I go to town to run errands and see the amazing colors of the changing leaves I realize I’m not going to see that phenomenon for at least a good while, whatever that may actually mean, a “good while.” Every time I drive back home and go past my brother’s house I realize I won’t have the day to day opportunity to see the kids, or check in on their parents and say hello. I’ll miss sitting out on the back porch and gazing out across the pond, hearing the fish splash and seeing the ducks come in for a landing. No more chickens stalking me for cat food. No more Baby, Momma, and Rio. No more hearing dad get up at 5:30 in the morning to eat and take his shot or seeing him nap on the back porch after working in the garden. No more hearing mom’s hilarious laughter when she talks on the phone or the smell of her amazing cooking wafting through the house. Oh I’m not totally romanticizing things – I’m leaving behind plenty of negatives, too. I just want to acknowledge that there has been good, and I’m leaving with both a sense of excitement and a twinge of melancholy.

I just wanted to say that. I needed to put it down; record it. I will miss things about Oregon.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Moving to Portland

The Best (I shouldn't have) Laid (down) Plans

Biggest Loser Casting Call